Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1?!

How is it already July?! Someone please tell me where June went! My goodness, this summer is passing me by a little more quickly than I would have liked. Non-the-less, I can't say I've been sitting around doing nothing, which is perhaps why I find myself face-to-face with July 1.

This week was a little rough, and by rough I mean, I didn't want to go to my internship in the afternoon and sit at a desk while it was a gorgeous 85F outside.
I mean really, can you expect me to stay inside (without a window!) when Bryant Park looks like this? No. That's what I thought too, so I stayed here for the remainder of my day :) Perfection.

Later on Wednesday evening I met up with some friends who are also staying in the city this summer for a wonderful dinner down in Soho. We decided on Gaia Italiano Cafe, a cute little cafe on East Houston Street. It was truly rustic Italian--fresh ingredients, native staff, and warm hospitality. Right up my alley!

They're known for their paninis so you know I had to try one of those! I've gotten on a tomato kick so I went with the "Bubi Panini"; mozzarella di bufala, chopped cherry tomatoes, and basil on top of their freshly baked panini bread. It was delicious.
 My only complain was that there was a little too much olive oil, where it was dripping on my hands and lingering on my lips (in a not good way). But other than that the whole experience was great! It was wonderful to meet up with my friends again, I miss them!

Earlier this week, my best friend from home sent me a care package. She hit the nail on the head with this one. Truly out of the park. She knows me so well and sent me such good treats. She knows how much I love my "bars" and sent me (new to me) one to try from Nature's Path.
Pumpkin and Spice! I've been meaning to try this flavor for a while but thought I should wait until it was "pumpkin season". Foolish me, good thing my friend wasn't thinking this! :) It was so good! Just the right amount of sweet and salty. I loved the addition of the pumpkin seeds and flax seeds. I'm so glad I tried this and can't wait to buy a box of them soon!

Some other eats of this week:
 A sliced apple with a (hidden under there) slice of toasted Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin (my favorite!!!) bread topped with cashew butter and more sprinkled cinnamon. Because let's be real, can you ever have enough cinnamon?
About cashew butter, I bought a jar about 5 weeks ago and have been slowly using it. It's not my favorite, but it's growing on me. It definitely has a distinctive cashew taste though...hmmm...duh, Cindy! :P
One of my favorite cereal combos: Nature's Path Flax Plus Mutligrain, Cascadian Farms Multigrain Squares, blueberries, and milk!
YIAJ--Chobani plain greek yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, and lots of cinnamon! Kinda wish I put some sunflower seed butter in there, but at the time, it just didn't seem like it would be a good combo with strawberries...now I know :)
This was lunch at work the other day: a slice of 7-grain toast, roasted broccoli, mini salad with tomato slices, chick peas, cous cous, parmesan cheese, and cottage cheese. Delicious. I also had an unpictured kiwi. I love kiwi--such a good summer fruit!
I've also been doing a lot of reading, which I absolutely love. I just finished "The Kite Runner" and started reading "Water for Elephants" yesterday morning--I'm almost finished! It such a great read, albeit sad, but apparently I'm into that right now? ("The Kite Runner", "Revolutionary Road"...)

I've got another early morning tomorrow but then Sunday and Monday off for the holiday! Yippee--the first "weekend" I've had yet this summer :) I'm hoping to get some more reading in and lay out in the sun for a health dose of summer color.

Happy (early) Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment