Friday, September 30, 2011

What I Ate [Friday]

I thought it might be fun to join in on the "What I Ate Wednesday" blog-world event where every Wednesday bloggers share their eats of the day. In my WIAW edition, I'd share my Spanish eats and kitchen creations from the week.  I love cooking and experimenting in the kitchen, so this this week I'm sharing my creations from the kitchen! These creations aren't fancy, time-consuming recipes but rather creative spins on classic meal options that are satisfying and nutritious. (Note: I'll normally do these on Wednesdays, but today we'll start with Friday)


 Veggie filled salad with lots of chickpeas, my favorite!
 Brown rice cooked in chicken stock with sauteed red peppers, onions, and fresh tomato. Topped with hummus and goat cheese.
I'm really proud of this one! I know it looks a little funny, but it's a quick dinner and fulfills all of the important food groups: vegetable, carbohydrate, protein, and fat: Two eggs steamed in the microwave with curry powder, sauteed onions and bell peppers, 2 pieces of toast topped with goat cheese and homemade hummus.
Not great picture quality here, sorry, but I've become a master at making paninis. It's another great way to make a quick and healthy meal. Here I've got two pieces of multi-grain toast with a spread of jelly (this is key--sweet and savory is the best!), roasted red peppers, deli turkey, sliced cheese, hummus, and cucumbers. And a side of roasted broccoli and onions.
 I told you I love paninis. I just can't get enough! This one is very similar to the last but I also added some fresh tomato slices.

This was another good one--especially since I utilized some left over chicken I cooked up the night before. Roasted broccoli, chicken, onions, and tomato atop a toasted WW pita pocket with hummus and goat cheese. Yes, I'm on a hummus and goat cheese kick--I'm officially an addict.

Now that I'm on a relatively normal schedule here with school and daily activities, I've had more time to devote to making my own meals, which I love to do. Of course I go out and enjoy the occasional Spanish menú del día, but the kitchen always calls to me after a weekend of eating out. 

I anticipate some great eats this weekend since my friend Vivian is coming to visit me! Obviously I have to introduce her to the wonderful Spanish cuisine! Sangria Paella anyone?
Be back soon with a post on my hiking adventure from a few weeks ago. The pictures will blow your mind.

Of Possible Interest: I recently read this article, "Nut Butter Gets Better" on Rachel Ray's website. I love peanut butter, but my favorite type of nut butter is sunflower seed butter. It's nice to see the nutritional benefits of the different kinds of nut butters. I can't wait to try walnut butter! Go out and buy yourself a jar of your favorite nut butter, or *gasp* if you don't like nut butters, you can buy me one! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment